Monday, September 24, 2012

Moon Days: Guest Post, Moon Salutations

Happy Moon Day!! 
I L.O.V.E this guest post about yoga and the moon today. Enjoy loves!

<<<<<<<<<<<>>>>>>>>>>>

Hello, Moondaughter readers! I am so excited to be contributing to Marissa's Moon Days series. Hers was one of the first blogs I started following that had a more soulful nature to it, and it has been so inspirational to me. I blog over at abhaya, and one of my biggest passions is my yoga practice. Today I thought I'd share a bit about moon salutations.


If you have ever been to a yoga class, chances are you did a sun salutation or two or have heard the term before. Sun salutations are very common in most Hatha-based practices, but its counterpart, the moon salutation, is very rarely practiced. In fact, in all of my years of taking classes, I have only ever been in one class where we did this. "Hatha" means sun ("ha") and moon ("tha"), and the concept of practicing this style of yoga is that you are finding balance between these two powerful forces. The sun energies are more dynamic, fiery, masculine, and external, while moon energies are more passive, cooling, feminine, and inward focused. The moon salutation honors the yin side of our beings, and is a powerful way of connecting with the Divine Feminine.

This is a lovely sequence to practice anytime you feel a need to turn inward a bit; to re-connect with yourself and find focus. It is also a great sequence to practice before bed to help prepare for a night of restful sleep.


You can repeat it as many times as feels right for you. I hope you try this sequence if you've never done it before! And pop on over to my blog where I share more about yoga, my photography, my life, and living naturally and with intention.

Namaste!
-Sondra

<<<<<<<<<<<>>>>>>>>>>>

If you have an questions about the poses and whatnot, feel free to leave a comment below for Sondra! And visit her beautiful, earthy blog :)

8 comments:

  1. My boyfriend and I are getting back into our routine of doing yoga, as soon as we wake up, and before bed, and man it really does feel amazing!! I get a good nights sleep and a fresh refreshing start to the day :) I love yoga!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am still trying to convince my bf to do it with me! One day!

      Delete
  2. Love this post, yoga is so awesome, the moon is so awesome!

    Bec x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, awesome! I working so hard to get back into a regular schedule with my yoga, and this has totally inspired me! Thanks to the both of you :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Zarie! I need to get back into it so bad!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really love yoga so much. I need to start practicing more.

    <3 Melissa
    wildflwrchild.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...